Flat Wing Baitfish
Hook: Standard length hook (Mustad 34007, Tiemo 811S)
Base/tail: 2 ½” – 3″ long neck hackle
Body: reverse tied buck tail*
Tail: saddle hackle: extend 3″ beyond neck hackle
Belly: small, sparse buck tail*
Wing: small, sparse buck tail*
Belly flash: light color angel hair, GSS, wing & flash, or similar
Wing flash: contrasting color of angel hair, GSS, wing & flash
Cement: Dave’s flexament
Eyes: jungle cock, (optional)
* It’s a good idea to use buck tail from the base of the tail and allow it to splay as you tighten your thread wraps since the intention is to build bulk without adding weight weight – hollow fleye style.
1. Apply thread at mid-shank and tie in a single neck hackle so it lays flat and on top of the shank and is curled up. Dub in a little bit of the fluffy por tion you have removed to clear the stem before setting the feather to create a soft base. This helps prevent the feather from rolling.
2. Advance thread toward the hook eye +/- 1/4″ beyond base of hackle feather and reverse tie in a sparse bunch of buck tail.
3. Fold buck tail back over the tail feather and tie down. The tip of the buck tail should end just shy of the hackle tip and should splay slightly to create the bulk of the body and support the saddle hackle tail.
4. Advance thread another 1/4″ and tie in 5 thin saddle hackles so that they extend +/- 3″ beyond the neck hackle.
5. Tie in two additional SPARSE bunches of buck tail: one on the bottom of the hook, extending to the hook point (pink in picture) and one on top just beyond the tip of the neck hackle base (brown in picture). Again splay the buck tail to build some bulk in the shape of the fly.
6. Reverse tie contrasting colors of angel hair/GSS/wing & flash, finish and tie off. Apply flexament lightly with side of bodkin to side of ange hair – like glaze on a donut. Add eyes of choice and you’re done.
Note: The material colors in the demo were picked arbitrarily by David. This is the same pattern tied on a Tiemco SP 600 using white hackle, white bucktail, pearl wing & flash and herring colored Gartside secret stuff (GSS).