President’s Flyline: December 2008
Our annual Holiday Party at the Botanical Gardens was a great success. Those of you who were unable to attend missed a good time, year-end camaraderie, talk of 2009, and MOST IMPORTANTLY the opportunity to show your appreciation for the hard work of Bill Stio, Joel Filner, Jose Colon, Patrick Long, Dee Kelly, Peter Kane, the Board of Directors, and the many Committee Chairs and members who made the last two years among the best.
Members came bearing gifts of delicious home made food, including stew and pasta dishes, salads, and egg rolls, all made with tantalizing ingredients – and then there were the desserts – and, of course beverages. Holiday raffle prizes included, an Abel Reel, Albright rod, a hand crafted marble-Hughes vice-stand, and numerous other items.
The Board of Directors, Officers, and I are looking forward to 2009; a year that will bring to the members interesting meetings, fishing trips, and fly tying. Mark your calendars:
- Our January 14th meeting hosts a club favorite, flats and blitz Guide David Blinken who will get us thinking about destination trips by presenting “The Colors of Fishing”. Dave investigates inner fishing and what we experience when we are out on the water enjoying our great resources, as seen through the lens of Dave’s camera. Dave’s photos begin in the Bahamas and visit Maine, Martha’s Vineyard, and of course the East End of Long Island. Check his link: http://www.northflats.com/
- January 26th is the first of five sessions of the beginners’ fly tying classes. Contact Jose Colon for details, openings, and to sign up: email@example.com
- February 2nd, we will host a joint presentation with Tom Matassa, Physical Therapist, fly fisherman, and kayaker, and our own Mike Johnson, Trainer. Both of whom have accepted the impossible task of getting the rest of us in condition for the 2009 (and beyond) season by telling us what they do for themselves. Do not try these exercises and stretches without first consulting your physician. You must attend, because you will be tested.
- The Fly Fishing Show is coming to Somerset NJ January 23, 24, 25, 2009. Check the show link: http://www.flyfishingshow.com/ for details. The first 8 members to sign-up, in advance, per day to help at the Salty Booth will be given tickets to the Show. We are advised that the Show has been reorganized and should be bigger and better than ever. I personally am planning on staying over one or two nights to give me time to attend the many seminars, visit the booths, and meet old fishing buddies. Please contact me now to volunteer firstname.lastname@example.org .
- 42nd Conclave: June 12, 13, 14, 2009. Plan ahead: Our base for fishing fun and info is The Soundview Inn, Greenport NY. Ed Mitchell will be our keynote guest. Ed is the complete package; not only is he entertaining, he is a great presenter, author, fly tier, and caster. Check Ed’s site at http://www.flyroddingthecoast.com/
We wish to publicize Salty activities; I ask each member to advise me of any newspaper and magazine connections you may have. I also request your constructive suggestions for speakers, and activities, and your criticisms.
To enhance your club experience and enjoyment, the Board urges each member to participate on a Committee. Please contact Bob Skoy email@example.com or Jose Colon firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss one (or more) committee(s) and get involved.
On behalf of the Board and Officers, I wish you all
Happy Holidays and a Healthy New Year!
Bob Skoy 516 379-7600