This fly is an excellent pattern for imitating medium and large baits such as bunker, herring and mullet. It is easy to tie and very durable. The fly can be fished day or night, shallow or deep. You can substitute blue or green Slinky Fibre (formerly called Kinky Fibre) to be more herring or mackerel colored, respectively.
Hook: Owner Aki 5/0 or similar wide gap
Body: Slinky Fibre, gray, white· Throat – Kinky Fibre, red
Flash: Pearl Mirage or Flashabou, silver Gliss N Glow· Eye – 8.0 silver/black stick-on
Thread: Fine mono
Misc: Head cement, Softex
- Place hook in vise and tie alternating sections of sparse white Slinky Fibre around the shank, behind the eye, forming a collar and pearl Mirage or Flashabou.
- On top of the fly add 2 or 3 sparse sections of gray Slinky Fibre mixed with silver Gliss N Glow.
- Under the fly tie a short (1" or so) sparse section of red Slinky Fibre.
- Whip finish the head and seal with head cement.
- Attach a stick-on eye to either side of the fly just behind the hook eye.
- Trim the rear materials to form a slight taper.
- Coat the head of the fly (from behind the hook eye to the hook bend) with Softex. Allow to dry completely in a well ventilated area.